LEUVEN BEGUINAGE - BELGIUM
The Béguinage (Begijnhof in Dutch) consists of a group of small houses, churches, green spaces, enclosed by walls, where only women were allowed to live. The Leuven Beguinage was founded in 1232 for ladies and girls from the city and the surrounding area. It was closed in 1796 by the French occupants, but shortly afterwards it was re-opened. By 1962, the original function had long since ended and the entire complex was bought by the university of Leuven.