KINKAKUJI TEMPLE - JAPAN
Kinkakuji means the temple of the Golden Pavilion. Constructed in Kyoto's northern hills in 1398 by Yoshimitsu, the third Ashikaga shogun. The present building dates from 1955 as the pavilion was burnt by a fanatic monk in 1950. The temple, a gilded three-storied reliquary hall, is situated at the margin of a large pond named Kyokochi Pond. It is typical architecture of the Muromachi Period (1333 - 1573).