DEPRUNG MONASTERY - TIBET
Situated 5km distance to the western suburb of Lhasa at the foot of Mt. Ganpoi Uze, Drepung Monastery was founded in 1416 by Jamyang Choje, a disciple of Tsongkapa, the founder of Gelugpa Sect. The monastery, occupying an area of 250,000m2, is one of the largest in the world. It keeps plentiful historical relics, Buddhist scriptures, arts and crafts. It includes seven colleges and, at one point, housed over 10,000 monks. The monastery was named a national cultural relic in 1982.